Monday, November 23, 2009

Recipe of the Week - Chocolate Ganache Frosting

When the intro before the recipe reads, "Achieving the perfect consistency can be tricky" I should know to step away and not try it so late at night.

I made some really yummy Devil's Food Cupcakes (I will be posting pictures later this week) for my co-workers. It was my little Thanksgiving gift to them. The cupcakes turned out really well and pretty moist. The frosting however, was a failure. I tend to have issues with the frosting (first the 7-minute one and now the ganache). The Chocolate Curls also didn't want to cooperate, but that is a whole other story.

The following is the recipe I used for the frosting. It never really set up, it was a runny, sticky mess. I thought I would share it with everyone and maybe someone can give me a pointer on what I did wrong. So if you get it to turn out, let me know!


(This is what it ended up looking like. Chocolate Soup. Guess all I needed was a straw and I would have been good to go!)
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Makes about 4 cups

1 pound good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup
 
Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup just to a simmer over medium-high heat; pour mixture over chocolate. Let stand, without stirring, until chocolate begins to melt.


Beginning near the center and working outward, stir melted chocolate into cream until mixture is combined and smooth (do not overstir).

Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes, until frosting just barely begins to hold its shape and is slightly lighter in color. Use immediately (ganache will continue to thicken after you stop stirring).
 
(It ended up being over 2 hours of cooling and stirring before I was even able to spread a little bit on the dang cupcakes...Good Luck!)
 
Recipe came from martha stewart

No comments: