Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recently Baked..

This last weekend I woke up early on Saturday morning. With all of the custom bridal orders I had been working on, I needed a break. And really, what better way to relax then to just bake. Later that evening I had a Thanksgiving social event for North Dallas Etsy and I wanted to bring some sweet goodies.

Going with the order of my trusty cupcake cookbook I made the next two recipes. The first in line, Coconut Cupcakes.


These cupcakes had coconut flakes ground up in the batter as well as coconut milk. On top there was some 7-minute frosting and some more coconut flakes.


The frosting did not set up at all. I didn't have a candy thermometer so I just guessed and well...I guessed wrong. The cupcake itself was just ok. Nothing outstanding, perhaps a litle dry. I have a few things I would improve on if I were to ever make them again (make the coconut in the cupcake even finer, buy a candy thermometer, etc).

Next in the book was Red Velvet Cupcakes. I have never had a Red Velet Cupcake so I was very excited to try this one out.


I thought they were really good. Still working on the left overs of these. This cupcake wasn't frosted the best, but you get the idea. I was actually really impressed with how they looked. The cake cooked up perfectly and they were pretty moist.


The could have been a little more 'red' in the middle. The frosting was cream cheese frosting (My new favorite type of frosting, by far).

The next cupcake recipe in the book is for rhubarb cucpakes. It really isn't the best time of year to find that ingredient. I think those may have to wait until the summer but it will be revisted! They sound very good. Since I am skipping that one I believe I will be making Devil's Food Cupcakes this weekend so I can bring them to work on Monday.

P.S. Check out the super cute plate I found! I got a set of 4 (mix of patterns) at Goodwill a couple months ago. I love them!

2 comments:

For the Love of Bella said...

Both of them were so YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! Great timing because I planned "Cupcake Night" tonight with my kids. I went to Williams Sonoma and grabbed a Banana Cupcake mix and some pretty sprinkles. My kids are so excited and now after seeing your post, I'm psyched!